Since the invention of subwoofers in the ’60s, their use has become rapid. This is because people have become more and keener about the clarity and quality of the music they listen to.
As the years went by, subwoofers became more popular to car owners due to the extreme bass levels and overall improvement of sound quality they provided.
When buying a new subwoofer, Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 is the perfect choice with its power and its output I highly recommend it.
In addition to that, the more familiar they continued to get, people often wondered which the best location to mount them was.
In cars, subwoofers can either be mounted in the cabs or trunks.
Placing your subwoofer in a trunk is the best option because it helps create more space for you and your passengers in the cab. In many cases, no car owner is a loner. They usually most probably have someone to carry in their cars, may it be family or friends.
In addition, it is secure to place your subwoofer in the trunk because when attacked by burglars or thieves, it would be easy for them to spot the subwoofer from the cab than from the trunk.
In this article, our focus is on mounting a subwoofer in the trunk and how to do it.
Mounting a subwoofer in the trunk is not a walk in the park. It needs you to have some tools and be careful to ensure that the subwoofer is mounted correctly. If the subwoofer is not mounted correctly, it will keep moving as you drive hence causing distractions.
However, several methods of mounting a subwoofer in the trunk are easy and quick to follow.
How to mount a subwoofer in the trunk
First and foremost, you must get a subwoofer box before installing the subwoofer in the trunk. If you don’t own one, you can quickly get it from the local market.
Before buying a subwoofer box, there are certain things that you should know about your subwoofer.
- Size- this is to ensure that your subwoofer fits perfectly in the subwoofer box. Similarly, it would be best if you also looked for the size ratings of your subwoofer box. You will find options like 8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches, and many more. The one you choose should meet the size of your subwoofer to be appropriately fit and compatible.
- Dimensions – because the subwoofer box is set to be mounted in the trunk, looking at the dimensions is crucial. All subwoofer boxes for bass have sizes like 20-inch × 15 inch × 15 inches which should adequately fit in the trunk of your car.
- Number of subwoofers– if you are looking for loud bass output, you would be interested in mounting two subwoofers. Therefore, just like single subwoofer boxes, you can get subwoofer boxes that accommodate dual subwoofers. For a single subwoofer enclosure, I would recommend Bbox E12S Pro-Series 12” On the other hand I would encourage you to buy Atrend Bbox E12DSV Pro-Series 12” Dual Vented Subwoofer Enclosure for dual subwoofer enclosure.Also, note that there are some boxes designed to produce powerful bass. So ensure that you at least try to look for them.
After securing your subwoofer in a subwoofer box, you can quickly mount it in the trunk.
Tools you can use to mount a subwoofer in the trunk
- Strips- preferably plastic ones to enable secure the subwoofer box.
- Bolts- used to fix the box.
- A wooden base- place to fix the box.
- Ropes – should be strong enough.
- Multiple hinges.
- Metallic plates.
- Screws – can be 1 inch or maybe 1.5 inches.
After gathering all the needed tools, you can now proceed to mount your subwoofer in the trunk of your car.
Using rope and screws
You can adequately mount a subwoofer in a trunk using hooks and screws.
How to do it:
- First, fix the hooks at both sides of the subwoofer box and create a bracket to fit on top.
- Find two small screws and fix them in a manner that is on the box’s side. These screws will penetrate through the hinge and into the subwoofer box. Ensure that it is not too deep.
- Mount that hinges right at the bottom so that it doesn’t interfere with the wires so much. In addition, that is also a way of securing your carpet/mat.
- Now, the rope will be moving along the hooks and hinges, and it will mount the subwoofer box in a very proper way.
This method enables you to travel all over with no worries.
This is a widespread method used by many people.
- Place your subwoofer box on the floor of your car’s trunk.
- Fix the stripes at both sides of the subwoofer box. This fixes the subwoofer box in its place. Moreover, note that the strips will be moving from the top of the box; therefore, you can tie it with the end.
Using wooden plates
This is quite an exciting method. Here you will require a wooden plate of proper sizes.
- Place the wooden plates on the floor of your car’s trunk.
- Using screws, ensure that the plates are secure in their place. Choose 1.5-inch screws because they are better at securing the wooden plates properly.
While using this method, you need to be watchful. First, check if the car’s tank is down there so as not to drill into it. Next, place the wooden plates on the good side of your car’s trunk.
After checking and ensuring that the base is ready, you can now mount the subwoofer box properly.
In this method, you will not have to worry about the subwoofer box sliding from its place because the wooden plates will not let it move, not even an inch.
What to look out for when mounting a subwoofer in the trunk
Like I mentioned earlier, you have to be careful when mounting a subwoofer in the trunk. There are a few things that you should take note of to enhance this.
The size of the subwoofer. Before buying a new subwoofer, make sure that you do some research to know which one will fit in your trunk perfectly. You are required to purchase one that matches your car. This will help avoid wastage of money, time, and energy. Also, it would be sad to buy a subwoofer and not use it.
Moreover, you should also check your trunk before going out to get a new subwoofer. A large subwoofer will take up most of the space in your trunk, unlike a smaller subwoofer. The one you get will depend on the available space in your trunk, your taste and preference, and how you want to use your trunk. You know, some people have large families or many friends so you find that they need to have enough space in their cars that will accommodate as many people as possible.
Nevertheless, this does not mean that it is wrong to mount your subwoofer in the cab. Some people will prefer one over the other depending on their tastes and preferences. The main advantage of placing a subwoofer in the cab is that they produce better bass and work better with speakers to give the perfect sound, and it is easy to install them in a cab. However, one major downside of mounting a subwoofer in the cab is it will consume most of the space in your car that could carry more passengers.
If you have not correctly mounted your subwoofer in the trunk, it is time you do so with one of the above methods. This will help avoid distractions or any further damage that an unstable subwoofer box could cause. A sliding subwoofer could also lead to accidents.
Moreover, whatever method you use to mount a subwoofer, ensure appropriately put in place.
Therefore, always be cautious when doing the mounting, and you can always spare a minute to check it in the trunk before you start your trip.